Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The King

For two months Luke has wanted to be a king for Halloween. I don't know where he got the idea, but I thought it was cute. I waited until 3 weeks ago to buy everything I'd need to make him a king. And now, at last the costume is complete. After much struggling on my part, as I'm not handy with a needle and thread (or fabric glue for that matter.) Tonight we sat down together and made 2 crowns. (In case one gets destroyed at his school's Halloween party tomorrow. As we worked, it suddenly occurred to me that maybe my small son has an over inflated sense of self. Luke the King. This struck me as funny and sad, since he is an only child. We try so hard to help him see that it's not "all about Luke" all the time. And I'm really sure that he didn't come up with this costume idea by thinking he rules the world, or our house either. I almost want to go back to the crowns and put "His Royal Majesty" in gold glitter. But I won't. King Luke. Maybe I do need to work harder to get it through to him that life isn't about being selfish!

1 comment:

L said...

King Luke...I love it! I think his choice of costume shows individuality; he's not some over-commercialized superhero! He's King Luke! You should take him to Burger King for dinner in his costume LOL